Saturday, March 8, 2008

Budget - Dah, dah, daaaaaaa

We're trading digital recordable cable (satellite) service for a gym membership. Yep, for real.

We've talked about ditching the cable several times over the last few years, but each time one of us wasn't ready or able. We both want a gym membership so badly that we finally agree. It's kinda crazy, but with Netflix available to rent dvd's of almost any show, it's kind of a no-brainer. And this gym, The River Valley Athletic Club, is awesome. Let me count the ways, they offer childcare - at NO additional charge. The have a couple classes a week that are just for kids! Let me add here that we just quit soccer for Ty and I was devastated. So I'm all good there. The kids can come in the pool with us at any open swim time. They do swim lessons which we signed Ty up for immediately, courtesy of the lovely Grandma Nan. When you come in, each time, they give you a shower towel, sweat towel and a locker w/key! Most gyms seem to charge extra for any Pilate's type classes, they offer several along with all kinds of other interesting classes I want to try. And they have a family yoga class. Do I sound giddy? Can you feel it? I'm going to have so much fun at the gym I may not miss the tv at all! We've got enough kids movies that if I need to use the electronic babysitter I can. I may try and get a few more shows on dvd so we have options shorter than movies. But anyway, you get my point. This is a huge deal, but I feel like we're prepared and it's a good trade. A much healthier life will be had by all in my family. And that, makes me smile.

Check back with me in a while and we'll see if I'm going crazy yet, or if it works!