Thursday, October 18, 2007

Hhhhmmmmmm, Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

I love trees. I love trees. I've always known that I really like trees, but I'm not sure that I totally understood my love for trees until now. Our new house has big beautiful mature trees. Today is the day that I fell in love with them.

Our first house had a huge gorgeous tree in the front yard. I think it was one of the best things about the house. We were smack in the middle of urban living. Apartment buildings on both sides of us (one tiny house away on one side). In that stretch of street our house had the only tree. It made such a difference. It made our house feel like a home.

Our second house was brand new and came complete with a dirt lot. We did a lot of work on the yard. Installed a sprinkler system, put up a lot of fence, laid sod, and planted flowers and bushes and trees. I think 9 trees. I like trees. But they were small and young and we didn't stay long enough to enjoy them.

Now, our third house, has lots of trees. Mature trees. Beautiful, breath of fresh air, home to many, many a squirrel, trees. I didn't have to plant them, I don't have to wait for them to grow in to magnificant beings, and there's more than one. How lucky am I?

Late this morning I was standing at our sliding glass door that looks out at the deck and backyard, waiting for the dog to poo. Lovley, no? Well, it was lovely to me because the dog poo provided for me to fall in love. Not only with our trees, but with fall. I've never disliked fall, it has lots of nice qualities. But it marks the end of summer and I'm never too happy about that. But, sipping my second cup of coffee, staring out at my backyard, kids screaming in full on chaos running like tornados through the house, waiting for the dog to poo, was magical.

It's like I was in a world all my own. The kids seemed to be removed from my moment, like they were in a far off distant land that was somehow only 50 feet away from where I was standing. The pooping dog was conveniently block from my view of the yard. My coffee was warm and tasty. The sun was peaking out from behind the clouds letting the leaves in the yard and my heart glow, and then returning to his cover again. I'd watch as a breeze came and the leaves would flutter and dance down to the ground. Serenity and peace are not things that I feel often. I am so greatful for dog poo. And the fact that we don't have a finished fence yet, so I have to wait for the dog to finish doing his business so I can let him back in!

I hope in trying to share this moment, I did it justice. It was awesome. Not to mention, it reminded me that the kids don't always need me to get in the middle of their business. Sometimes butting out can be the best way to handle the situation - especially if you get to have a moment like I did. Nothing helps me be a better Mom then feeling like my soul's been revived. I have a feeling I'll be staring out the window to watch the trees a little more often.... not just when the dog needs to poo.